One way you can put your fully equipped kitchen to good use is by making extra snacks, starting with this recipe for Homemade Soft Pretzels. Often found in shopping mall food courts, at carnivals and fairs, or at the movie theater’s concessions booth, soft pretzels are beloved by many for being the perfect snack food. Salty and chewy, soft pretzels appeal to every age group and taste delicious when dipped or smothered in butter, mustard, cheese, or another type of sauce. Not to mention, they’re incredibly easy to make at home, as long as you have active dry yeast and flour on hand. Want to see for yourself? Give this Homemade Soft Pretzels recipe a spin!
- 1 ½ cups water, warm
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 4 ½ cups flour
- 3 tablespoons oil, divided
- ⅔ cup baking soda
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Coarse salt
- In a bowl, mix water, salt, and sugar until combined. Add yeast and let rest 5 minutes until yeast starts to foam.
- Add flour and 2 tablespoons of oil and mix thoroughly until a dough forms.
- Remove the dough and use the remaining oil to cover the bowl.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Cut dough into eight pieces and roll them out into thin ropes, twisting the two ends to form a pretzel shape.
- Add baking soda to a large pot of water and bring to a rolling boil. Boil each pretzel for 30 seconds per side.
- Transfer pretzels to a baking sheet, brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool and enjoy!
Westmount at Copper Mill Apartments in Houston, Texas