On the hunt for a new favorite recipe to add to your list of staples? The team at Westmount at Copper Mill, the best apartments in Houston, encourages you to try your hand at this delicious option for Lemon Ice Box Pie. Not only does it completely melt in your mouth, but the tartness of the lemon filling with the crumbliness of the graham cracker crust is also the perfect punctuation mark on your outdoor cookout. Just bake the crust, mix the filling, and pop it in the ice box for 30 minutes, then you’re ready to go! Oh, and don’t forget to heap on plenty of the vanilla-infused whipped cream, of course! Check out the ingredients and directions below, courtesy of the premier luxury apartments in Houston TX:
To Make Crust
• 2 cups graham cracker crumbs, finely crushed
• 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
• 5-6 tablespoons melted butter
To Make Filling
• 1 1/4 cups fresh lemon juice
• 4 extra-large eggs
• 2 extra-large egg yolks
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
To Make Topping
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 3 tablespoon confectioner's sugar, sifted
• 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
• Graham cracker crumbs for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter together in a bowl, blending everything together until all the crumbs are evenly moistened and there are no large lumps.
3. Press the crumbs evenly into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Bake for 8 minutes.
4. To make the filling, whisk together the lemon juice, eggs, yolks, and sugar in a medium-sized, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Whisk until the eggs are completely broken up and incorporated.
5. Set over medium heat and cook, stirring or whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens. You are not looking for it to boil, just cook until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. This will take 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Strain the mixture through a mesh sieve into a bowl, to get rid of any little lumps of cooked egg, and whisk in the condensed milk. Make sure to get everything evenly combined, and then pour into the crust and refrigerate, uncovered, for up to six hours or overnight.
7. Whip the cream, sugar, and vanilla until thick and then dollop over the chilled pie. Dust with graham cracker crumbs and garnish with lemon slices or lemon zest, if desired. Put it in the freezer for 30 minutes before serving. Then, top with whipped cream.