Everyone has found their silver lining in mandated self-isolation, and one of these coping mechanisms has been cooking at home increasingly more often. Now that we’re in our seventh month of quarantine, however— and without any end in sight – you may be reaching for straws when it comes to cooking up recipes your family loves. So, spice up your culinary rotation with these twice-baked potatoes that pair perfectly with grilled steak, roasted chicken, or seared salmon! Check out the ingredients and directions below:
• 4 large russet potatoes
• 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 1 tablespoon butter, melted
• 1 tablespoon minced green onion
• salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
• 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• ½ cup shredded white cheddar cheese
• ½ cup heavy cream
• 1 egg yolk
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Rub potatoes with vegetable oil and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
3. Bake in the preheated oven until a paring knife easily inserts into the center of the potato, about one hour. Set aside to cool until easy to handle for approximately ten minutes.
4. Cut 1/3 off each potato lengthwise. Scoop flesh from each potato to within about 1/8-inch of the skins. Transfer flesh to a bowl.
5. Combine potato flesh with butter and green onion. Stir until butter is melted evenly in potato. Add salt, black pepper, cayenne, and cheese, and then stir until the cheese is also melted. Pour cream and egg yolk into potato mixture and combine. Season to your liking with salt.
6. Place a small piece of potato skin inside the bottom of each larger potato shell. Fill each with potato mixture. Gently press the surface of the filling with a fork to create texture. Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkles with paprika.
7. Baked stuffed potatoes until golden brown on top, 20 to 30 minutes.
After a long day, it can be tempting to order take-out for dinner. Instead of settling, the team at Westmount at Copper Mill Apartments in Houston, Texas would like to suggest this delicious and nutritious alternative!